However, I think that becoming a parent was my calling. My mom and sister are smiling right now if they are reading this. I was one of those adamant "Kids are not for me" people. I loved my selfish lifestyle and I couldn't imagine being responsible for another person in that way. I remember my best friend telling me she was having a baby and thinking "Oh God, here we go!" If she hadn't gotten pregnant with Mae, I don't think I would have been brave enough to consider changing everything by bringing a child into the world. I am grateful for their decision giving me strength to make mine with Conlyn. I would have had a part of me that searched for my whole life for that piece of me that was missing if I hadn't had Callie. And without Callie, I wouldn't be having Michael either.
Anyhow, personal tangent over, and back to the project.
The inspiration for this project came from this idea I found several clicks deep in Pinterest. I didn't have Kraft paper big enough for a tree so I decided to just use the leaves portion.
We used some scraps of retired cardstock with the Big Shot and Autumn Accents Bigz Die. Callie loves the Big Shot. She likes turning the handle and separating all the pieces. Once she ran all these through, I wrote the upper case letters on one set and lower case letters on the other. Make sure you write on both sides so that you don't spend their tiny attention spans turning over letters! I also marked the lower case ones with rhinestones so that they would be easy to sort if they got mixed up.
We've made several games with these.
- Sorting by color - Sort all the leaves by color and then practice counting them.
- Sorting by type - Sort all the leaves by shape and then practice counting them.
- Alphabetizing - Put all the upper case letters in alphabetical order.
- Matching - Put all the corresponding lower case letters below the upper case letters. This was the hardest for her but the most important as we start working on sounding our letters and recognizing words in her stories.
- Cardstock: Gumball Green, More Mustard (retired), Daffodil Delight, Certainly Celery (retired), Cherry Cobbler
- Marker: Basic Black
- Accessories: Big Shot & Cutting Mats, Autumn Accents Die, Basic Rhinestones
The hostess code for online orders for next month is G3SGBMJK. Anyone that purchases anything online by 11/24 can enter this code. We have reached a qualifying workshop already this month so I will draw a mystery hostess from those that purchased and the lucky winner will get the free merchandise (currently at $30).
Have a craftastic day,